Achieving Improved Patient Safety
in Epilepsy Monitoring Units
What does your epilepsy monitoring unit do to provide the best patient outcomes? When team members of the epilepsy monitoring unit work together to address the unique needs of their patients it increases the probability of improved safety outcomes.
That is why the American Epilepsy Society and the National Association of Epilepsy Centers have teamed up to present a free online continuing medical education series “Safety in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit”. Improved patient outcomes rely on providing safety in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit.
The program consists of seven modules addressing the following topics:
- Introduction to Safety in the EMU (Culture of Safety and Overview of EMU Safety)
- Enhancing Safety Prior to Admission:
- - Professional Education and Communication
- - Assessment and Education of Patient and Family
- Seizure Observation
- Environment and Activity
- Seizure Provocation
- Managing Seizures and Comorbidities
- Preparing for Transition to Outpatient Care
The goal of this special structured learning presentation is to educate healthcare providers on how to best create a culture of safety.